- Can you briefly run through the process of what needs to be done from start to finish?
- Do you have references from your previous clients who have done the same type of work?
- Are you familiar with Sarnia's bylaws and local electrical code?
- How do we arrange an electrical inspection by the City of Sarnia?
As you might have noticed, none of the questions above were related to pricing. Although many customers look for an affordable electrician for certain tasks that are manageable by almost any electrical contractor (think simple light fixture installations, outlet relocations, etc.), you want to make sure you hire someone who has necessary experience as a new build electrician, who has the proper certifications and who can communicate the basic steps of the process.
One of the steps is getting an inspection at various stages of the installation. Not only that, before any work begins, you’ll need to take out a permit and notify the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority). If a large alteration of the property is planned, there will be at least two electrical inspection visits by the City of Sarnia, at least one during the installations, and one at the very end for a final stamp of approval.
Some new addition electrical work may involve:
- Light fixture installation (chandeliers, potlights, other indoor or outdoor lighting), and their connecting wires
- Electrical panel upgrade if the dwelling is modified to house more than one family
- New appliance wiring (for large or relocating equipment or appliances such as hot tubs, dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc.)
- Coordinating with other contractors (i.e. ensuring the proper electrical system is in place before drywalling)
- Ensuring that all work is done to current code and in accordance to the City’s Bylaws
We are fortunate to be living in a city like Sarnia that is rich in culture, history and a multitude of fun activities for all ages and interests. And one thing we enjoy is Sarnia’s allowance for new construction and additions to existing properties. This is becoming more common as more homes are becoming multi-family, and therefore may require some alterations and electrical upgrades to accommodate the new living arrangement. Please give Electricians Sarnia a call to discuss your new build electrical needs.